Thursday, March 06, 2008

Veronica is reading!
Last night Veronica sat down next to me on the couch and told me "Dad, I am gonna pronounce some letters". Just that made me happy. That is what we had being doing over the last couple of months. It had not yet clicked that the sounds were constructing words. Elena and I at times could hear her pronouncing a word but she could not recognize the word from the sounds. So as listened to her practice putting letters together on some simple words it became clear that she was starting to read. The first word was easy it was I. So she sat there saying the soft i, iii iii. Then she moved on to the next word and did great sounding out a soft a, aaa-aaa. The a was followed by the letter m. So it sounded like iiiii......aaaaa......mmmmm. At this point I put down my book and showed her that a space meant a new word and that i alone sounded like I. So after this it sounded like I aaaa-mmmm A. She looked up at me and said with a confused expression, "I am a". I giggled and realized she just read her first sentence. The next word was lamb and the pronunciation sounded like llllll-aaaaaa-mmmm-bbbbb. There was a picture of a lamb on the next page so for her it clicked. She didn't even try the word lamb by itself. She went ahead and just read the whole sentence, "I am a lamb". She continued to struggle with the rest of the page, but finished it. She was very happy. For the time being she is addicted. I am guessing this because on the way to school this morning she was reading again. :)

No comments: