I went to the grand opening of the Zimmerman library today and what do you know. The one and only Rudolfo Anaya presented the president a copy of his latest book. Mr Anaya is a significant indirect contributor to my pursuit of education.
So some background. I had never finished a book until high school. What that means is that I had read books but never read a book from cover to cover. I had always found a way to fill in gaps or endings. Like when I did a book report on the natural. I didnt know that the ending was totally opposite in the movie. Well my teacher did :) Anyway his book "Bless me ultima" was the first book I actually read. While a sophomore in high school a teacher suggested I read "Bless me ultima". I guess because of my brown skin ;) So, completing this book led to other books like "Heart of Aztlan" and "A Chicano in China". This concept of reading took me by total surprise and led to something greater....academic inspiration. Okay enough background.
Back at the grand opening all the hoop la is carried out I went looking for him but no luck. I wanted to meet him. So I am in line for some cake and I saw him live and in person sitting maybe twenty feet from me. At last I got to meet yet another of my many inspirations.
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment