Pilgrimage to El Santuario de Chimayo
Happy Easter!Santuario is a sacred place where many Catholics pilgrimage in order to enter into the experience of good Friday. The day representing the memory of Jesus Christ's crucifixion. This sacred place has been apart of my Holy Week since I was eight years old. Each year brings with it unique purpose and prayers. Since my divorce each pilgrimage holds much more grief and appreciation for the hurtful parts of life; I guess more true meaning and less challenge or goal. I have missed a few years here and there, but every year I am aware of the many emotions and pangs that are lived on this walk. It was also a tradition shared with Catalina's family for a majority of our time together. So in recent years it has been a cleansing experience; the memories are difficult to visit. In fact I had not started walking from Santa Fe until I met her. The long day and many steps allow my mind and conscience to meditate on what was. Easter is yet another holiday and holidays are meant for family. The reminder of family made this Easter sad at times because my family's circumstances are broken, but the gathering of my greater family made it nice.
This year's walk was special. I started a new job and with it came a new peregrino. A co-worker and friend Greg Gomez wanted to experience this sojourn. We made this walk together and the experience will always be cherished. Our lives were shared on this walk and the true purpose of the pilgrimage was revealed.
May God bless your spring and help your hopes bloom

No comments:
Post a Comment