Friday, September 08, 2006

Labor Day weekend was a trip down memory lane. I went to visit some good friends in Denver. A few were friends from childhood and others were friends made while living there. I was also forced to reminisce. I drove the routes I had driven many a times. I thought about my ex-wife and life as a family. In all honesty it was difficult. There were several places that brought back fond memories. That was the hard part.

I enjoyed the whole weekend and actually felt reprieve from the hustle and bustle of life.

There was so much good news to hear about and so many good restaurants to visit. Friday after we got in I had lunch with a couple of co-workers at my favorite Denver Thai restaurant; Thai Spice. Life at Oracle sounds quiet. I had dinner at Old Chicago’s with some friends from New Mexico that now live in Denver. That was a very interesting evening. Old Chicago’s has excellent pizzas. So much stays the same, yet everything has changed. Ha!
Saturday was cold and overcast. I went to the CU game with a die hard CU golden buffalo fan. They lost and their play matched the weather…gloomy. Dinner with Denver friends was great. The Wynkoop which is known for their brewery had a great menu. I got to catch up on the new changes in their lives. I also got to see a couple of brothers from the annual golf trip and kicked some royal but on the puck table. The lives of my friends are changing and we are all moving into different phases.
Sunday was supposed to be a hiking day, but I felt the need to embrace some memories. I really didn’t do anything but drive around Aurora. It gave me time to appreciate what living in Denver showed me about myself. I said goodbye to friends and talked about things that needed to be talked about with others. Sunday was nice!

Some highlights: I threw the football around with Bob as he prepares to become a dad, and held his wife April’s stomach which was ready to pop! I can remember how scary it was to take on the responsibility for another person’s life. I talked with Brant about some rewards and struggles in both of our lives. I finally got to meet his wife, Susanne, whom he has recently reunited with after being apart for ten years; long but beautiful story. Another friend Brent has just added a little girl to his family and I got to share a father and son night out with him too. Jess and Espy are well into wonderful family patterns themselves. All these children have grown and become little mirrors for the confidence and love good parents give. Cristina is also doing well and catching up with her was surprising. She is full of life. Galen and I were able to talk about the single lifestyle and finding that perfect woman….insert joke here. I was happy to be home, and finally accepted that Denver wasn’t home anymore. I really needed that trip to put my time in Denver in a different light. I hope you all are doing well. To the summer of 2006 it was nice. To the fall of 2006 please be gentle!

No comments: